2019 IJMSPT Welcome Letter
Greetings from the 2019 Detroit Host Committee!
We are excited to host the 41st Annual International Jewish Men’s Slo-Pitch Tournament in Detroit this Labor Day weekend! The past three times that your current host committee members were entrusted with the responsibility to host, it was our goal was to make everyone’s experience remarkable and memorable. We think we succeeded.
The Detroit 2019 Host Committee is committed to continue its tradition of hosting great tournaments that exceed your expectations and create lifelong memories. Our attention to detail that we have exercised in every facet of the tournament planning process and our genuine love for this tournament will surely result in another amazing time for all who participate this year.
From our experience we know that the four most important elements to hosting a successful tournament are:
- Having a great four diamond softball hub. We get five stars here because for the third time we will be playing our games at the City of Novi’s Power Park, which is a beautiful complex with dugouts, fenced outfields that are impeccably maintained.
- Having an affordable and convenient host hotel. Our host hotel is a winner too! The Embassy Suites Detroit Livonia/Novi Hotel is conveniently located less than 10 minutes from the diamonds. It offers a full complement of features that include beautifully appointed suites at an affordable rate, a delicious hot breakfast, a swimming pool and a hot tub.
- Having top quality hospitality. We define hospitality as all the opportunities over the weekend when you interact us as well as with IJMSPT players from other teams, when we feed you or entertain you. We promise our hospitality will be top notch with great food each evening, a delicious lunch at the diamonds both Saturday and Sunday as well as two entertaining parties; Friday night’s Draft party and the Sunday Night Banquet.
- Having you join us! What makes this tournament so special are the players. Every player and every team that participates adds to the mosaic and history of the tournament. We promise to keep the bar raised very high on the first three elements above. All that is left to guarantee a successful 2019 tournament is the participation of you and your teammates!
You will also find that there are abundant options for great dining and entertainment when you visit us. There are so many choices for fun things to do and great restaurants to try, you may want to extend your stay. By the way, the Embassy Suites Hotel will honor our tournament rate on the day before the tournament starts on Thursday August 29th as well as the night after it ends on Monday September 2nd.
Here is a short list of things to do in your free time while you are in Detroit to attend the tournament:
- Catch a Detroit Tigers Game: The Detroit Tigers are home against the Cleveland Indians from Tuesday August 27th to Thursday August 29th and they host the Minnesota Twins from Friday night August 30th through Monday September 2nd. Rick has some great seats for the Friday night game. If interested, please contact Rick at 248-613-5400.
- Check out Arts, Beats and Eats: This outdoor street festival takes over the streets of downtown Royal Oak from Friday August 30th to Monday September 2nd. Hours are from 11:00am to 11:00pm on Friday to Sunday and from 11:00am to 9:30pm on Monday, This festival features more than 200 performances on nine stages, a highly ranked fine arts show and local restaurants serving some of the finest cuisine in metropolitan Detroit, Admission ranges between $5 and $7 depending on the time of day/night, but is free to enter until 5pm on Friday only.
- Some of the musical acts include:
- 5:30pm: The Gin Blossoms
- 7:30pm: 38 Special
- 6:00pm: The Spinners
- 7:30pm: Eddie Money
- Some of the musical acts include:
- The Michigan State Fair: If you are travelling to Detroit with your family, consider taking them to the Michigan State Fair which is held at the Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi, only a few miles away from our host diamonds. The Fair opens on Thursday August 29th and runs through Labor Day and features carnival midway, livestock exhibits, circus performances, a beer garden and entertainment tents.
- If you are a Jazz connoisseur, you may want to attend the Detroit International Jazz Festival. This free jazz festival is held every year during Labor Day Weekend at Hart Plaza in downtown Detroit along the Detroit River.
- If you love the Motown sound, we suggest that you reserve ticket to take a tour of the famed Motown Museum. A trip to Hitsville USA, home to the Motown Museum, is a popular destination for any music lover. See the home that Barry Gordy turned into the legendary Motown studio where the likes of the Temptations, the Four Tops, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder made their hit songs.
But the way, we know how to run a softball tournament too. The fields will be groomed twice on both Saturday and Sunday. We will be using the same Dudley 52/300 composite softball that we use in our leagues in Novi. Our umpires have umped this tournament in the past. They know our tournament rules and can’t wait to see those pitches with 15-foot and higher arc and higher land on the mat. Our tournament supervisor has also supervised our last two Detroit tournaments and will manage the umps and settle any disputes.
We are ready for you to play your hearts out on the field, enjoy the accommodations at the Embassy Suites and meet and greet old friends and make new friends at our hospitality events. Now it’s up to you and your teammates to register for our great tournament hosted by the following members of the 2019 Detroit Host Committee:
Rick Sherline, Co-Chair
Harold Grossbart, Co-Chair
Lyle Schaefer, Co-Chair
Seth Gorback, Co-Chair
Bruce Weberman, Co-Chair
Committee At Large: